How to Make Aloe Vera Jelly
People have been using aloe vera jelly for its health benefits and to treat skin problems for thousands of years. Aloe has, however, only recently become more popular as people learn about its health benefits and the many ways you can use it. One of the easiest ways to use aloe is to make jelly with it. Jelly is great to eat on a spoon or spread on toast.
In this post, we are going to provide instructions that will show you how easy it is to make your own version of this popular culinary staple yourself at home with fresh aloe vera leaves which you can find in most local grocery stores these days as well as online retailers like Amazon or Etsy.
What is Aloe Vera?
Here is what we need to know about aloe before we begin. It looks like a cactus, but is in fact a succulent plant. Succulents are plants that store water in their leaves or stem to help them survive arid conditions.
Aloe vera is native to Africa and parts of Asia. As a succulent, it contains the natural chemical calcium oxalate, which gives the plant a sharp, bitter taste and helps protect it from predators. Aloe vera has long been used to treat medical conditions throughout Africa, Asia, and Europe.
How to Use IT?
The gel of the aloe vera plant is used for a variety of health benefits, as well as edible purposes.
You can eat aloe vera jelly on crackers, sandwiches, and toast. It is best to cut the leaves and let them sit overnight so that they completely dry out before eating. You can also put the gel in your smoothies, soups or use it to make a skin toner which you can apply to your face to improve pores.
What Else Can I Do With Aloe Vera?
When you cut the leaves of the aloe vera plant, they will heal damaged skin. You can also put the leaves in water to create a natural antiseptic that you can use to clean minor wounds or sores on your skin.
If you have sensitive skin, try using an aloe vera jelly for hair care. It is helpful for brushing your hair after washing it and helps it get shiny and manageable. You can also use an aloe vera gel for a hair product that soothes inflammation and promotes the healthy growth of new hair.
Aloe vera leaf juice is used to treat skin conditions such as burns, sunburns, and even sun poisoning.
Aloe Vera Jelly Recipe
Note: Feel free to adjust the quantity you want to make according to this recipe.
- One or two cups of chopped aloe vera (354 – 472 ml)2 cups (500 ml) filtered water
- 2-3 TBSP (30-45 ml) sugar. I normally use raw unrefined sugar in my cooking, but for this recipe, I use unbleached organic cane sugar as it makes the jelly look nice and clear.
- 2 tsp (10 ml) agar agar powder.
- About 4 TBSP (60 ml) or more of chia seeds.
- A few glass containers of your choice. It can fill up to seven small (4 oz) jars.
Stir the ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat until the gel is completely dissolved. Do not boil or cook too hard as you will only end up with a tough, brittle jelly. Set aside to cool in small jars.. To eat, spread it on toast or as a condiment on crackers or sliced fruit.
When you’re done eating, save the leftover jelly to use later in the shower. Aloe vera jelly is a natural way to soften your skin and help it stay healthy and hydrated. Brush on the hair for a shiny, healthy look.
- Aloe vera meat should be chopped into small chunks and set aside. Put filtered water in a small pot, followed by the agar-agar powder. Make sure it is well-mixed and there are no lumps.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. Turn off the heat after a few minutes.
- Stir in sugar until it dissolves, then let it cool.
- Chia seeds should added when the mixture reaches room temperature. Stir well, making sure the ingredients don’t clump together. Lastly, combine the chopped aloe meat with the mix.
- Divide the mixture among containers of your choice. Make your bowls larger if you like to eat more at a time. The portions I make are usually smaller and I keep them in the fridge. You can grab them easily and they have just the right amount.
- We can eat it immediately after it hardens. You can also cover it with lids and keep it in the refrigerator. My preference is to finish it within a week, but it stays fresh for a week or more.